People who suffer from Electro-Hypersensitivity (EHS) commonly experience any or several of the following:
- Warmth or tingling like sunburn
- A stinging or pricking sensation in the face or body
- Poor memory
- Reduced concentration and clarity of thought
- Dry sinuses, throat or eyes
- Aches and pains in the muscles, joints or teeth
- Sleep disturbance.
The list is not exclusive, and a lot of symptoms are similar to those of chemical and food sensitivity. The Environmental Health Center in Dallas reported that out of 500 patients treated for Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), 80% also had electrical sensitivities. However, not everyone with ES develops chemical or food intolerance.
Read how one man developed EHS after using the computer here.
Most sufferers find they react to a particular range of frequencies at a certain level, for instance: radio waves (Rf), microwaves (eg mobile phones, masts or WiFi), electrical or magnetic fields. Some people find their symptoms gradually get worse and last for longer periods or they start reacting to more and more triggers. Some sufferers also become sensitive to light, (Photosensitivity is a recognised medical condition). Common triggers include mobile phones and masts, WiFfi, SatNav systems, microwave and electric ovens, TV, computers and monitors, fluorescent and low-energy lights, digital or wireless phones, electromagnetic fields from cars, trains, powerlines, substations, bad house wiring, and other electrical or wireless appliances in the home or workplace.
Individuals affected by multiple sensitivities can find it difficult to pinpoint the source of their reactions. Since symptoms often improve when the trigger is removed, sufferers can find it helpful to unplug appliances and switch off lighting and electrical circuits to see if it relieves symptoms.