Egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame & wheat free
- half a small cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 450g firm tofu, drained
- 2 carrots, grated
- 170g mushrooms, wiped
- 1 tbsp wheat free soya sauce
- 1 tsp mild chili powder
- 4-6 tbsp fine polenta (cornmeal)
- vegetable oil for frying
- Steam the cabbage until cooked, drain and whizz in a food processor.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and saute the onions over a low heat until translucent.
- Add the onions to the cabbage.
- Add more oil to the frying pan and saute the mushrooms until soft.
- Tip the mushrooms in with the onions and cabbage.
- Add the carrots and the tofu, broken into chunks.
- Add the soya sauce and chilli powder and whizz everything until you have a dough.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and tip into a bowl.
- Add the polenta 1 spoon at a time, just until the dough can be formed into burger shapes.
- Heat some oil in the frying pan and roll the mix into 8 balls.
- Flatten them a little in your hands, then a little more as you place them in the frying pan.
- Fry a little on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve with chips and a salad or in a gluten free roll.
Thanks go to Foods Matter for letting us reproduce this recipe.